Re: Threads

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:31:48 -0400
Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Chris Vine
<chris cvine freeserve co uk>wrote:

In what way do you think that the API/ABI of gdk_threads_enter() and
gdk_threads_leave() is not stable?  As far as I can see it is there
and fully functioning with gtk+-3.10.2, albeit it is deprecated.

if you use DISABLE_DEPRECATED then it vanishes. and there are lots of
good reasons for using DISABLE_DEPRECATED.

Out of interest, why do you do this, other than for the purpose of
making test runs to see what may lie ahead with gtk+-4.0?

I believe there are very few good reasons for using DISABLE_DEPRECATED,
if only because you will find your code breaking for no good reason.
Thankfully, with gnome-3.x the gnome developers have got over the
annoying gnome-2.x habit of defining that symbol: a good job too,
because I noticed from the compiler warnings emitted that a considerable
number of the application packages in gnome-3.10 still call the GDK
thread functions.

Anyway, it does not amount to ABI/API breakage, which was the point I
was responding to, and ubuntu does not automatically define that symbol
for you either.  Furthermore, if the original poster's code had done
so, the original poster's code would have failed to compile, not failed
to run.  The reasons why the original poster's code failed to work
appears to be that he was not using the function calls correctly,
irrespective of version number or deprecation.

Chris