Re: Threads

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 22:19:24 +0100
Luis Matos <gass otiliamatos pt> wrote:
Hello there ... my 2 cents ... i don't know anything about JACK, but:

Main issue here is that gtk is not thread safe (neither is any gui).
You should not call anything from another thread that uses the GUI
(althoug gdk_thread_eneter/leave seems to be right for it).
Maybe replacing the enter/leave code by a call to g_idle_add or
g_main_context_invoke.

By the way, i think the Gtk folks should keep the API stable and not
remove anything until 4.0. People ported applications to gtk 3.0 and
then ... it does not work with 3.8. I don't know if QT is different,
but this should not be happening. A work around should have been
implemented to stay with gdk_threads_enter/leave.

In what way do you think that the API/ABI of gdk_threads_enter() and
gdk_threads_leave() is not stable?  As far as I can see it is there and
fully functioning with gtk+-3.10.2, albeit it is deprecated.

Chris