Conventions for Error Logging

Hello,

I'm writing a desktop application using Gnome technologies. I added
support for some operations which may fail or produce useful errors, so
I decided I want the app to record the warnings and errors in a log
file, allowing me to see the report later, and find bugs.

I tried to find any conventions for GNU software logging, and for Gnome
apps, but I found nothing.

Is there a convention for that? A standard location for log files in
filesystem/home directory? A common standard for naming them and filling
the contents?

And does Gnome have a log viewer app for reading log files produced by
applications?

Anatoly