Re: This issues on compiling GTK+ from source and using GTK+ 3.x, GTK+ 2.x, and GTK+ 1.2 on one computer.

On 11/01/2012 05:54 AM, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 06:57 AM, onetmt wrote:
>> on my system (Debian Sid):
>
> I use Debian Squeeze 6.0.6, which is the stable distribution, not the
>  testing one used by you.  The reason that I don't use the
>
> Debian Sid/testing is that the virtualbox within Debian testing
> currently will not let me run the Win 7 smoothly on my pc, I don't
> know the reason;-(

Unless you have some moral or philosophical reason for sticking with the
GPL version of VirtualBox that comes in the Debian repositories, just
install the non-GPL version from virtualbox.org.  It will run just fine
on Debian Sid.

> In my case, the Debian Squeeze/stable, I only have the GTK+ 2.x from
> the repository, unless I use the mixed repository from stable and
> testing. But, according to my experience, use a mixed repository is
> dangerous, it will bring more and more packages dependence issues
> with cann't be solved easily.  So, in my case, if I want to use GTK+
> 3.x, the best way should be compile it manually.

In my experience, compiling GTK+ manually is never the best way, unless
you are fully versed with proper use of pkg-config, and how to properly
set PKG_CONFIG_PATH before compiling GTK+3 apps and then LD_LIBRARY_PATH
before running your GTK+3 apps.  Note that if you use jhbuild it
defaults to putting things in /opt, which will require the use of the
variables I mentioned.  If you compile by hand to the normal /usr
locations, then you can just compile and run as if GTK+3 was shipped
with the distro.