Re: Compiling a GTK application on windows

no, gtk on windows doesn't suck, but at the same time, isn't issued by microsoft either, thus different (wrt IDE's), requiring some "by-hand" work.

i have a rather large project, designed under linux, also cross-compiled into windows binaries.  i've gone down both roads of compiling directly under windows (cygwin), and now simply cross-compiling on LINUX, even going so far as to create the install .exe on LINUX.

both solutions work, and, as far as i'm concerned, it works great (when the "by-hand" setup is not regarded as a hindrance).  maybe it doesn't work for you, or the way you'd like, but then almost the entirety of MS output falls into that category for me.

de gustibus non est disputandum

ciao,

richard

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Lothar Scholz <llothar web de> wrote:
Hello Robert,

RP> There really isn't any point trying to make people like Lothar see the
RP> light. Some folks are just so brainwashed into believing that an
RP> "integrated development environment" is the only option on Windows that
RP> they have become clinically incapable of grasping the simple fact that
RP> for anyone who knows what they're doing (and may be doing something
RP> more complex than the Visual Studio "Hello world" example) IDEs
RP> universally just get in the way, and make is your friend.

This attitude against windows is the reason why i only can recommend
to stay away from GTK on windows. It sucks.

By the way i use an editor and hand written non autotools makefiles
in my windows projects.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar                            mailto:llothar web de