Re: problems compiling gtk3

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:12:25 -0400
Josh Bialkowski <jbialk MIT EDU> wrote:
> > Where did you installed the dependencies?
> > You must set some environment variables, so it links with the
> > correct *.so files:
> >

> > BASE=$HOME/Build
> > export PATH=$BASE/bin:$PATH
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BASE/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$BASE/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> > export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$BASE/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS
> >
> In installed them in the default auto-configured spot. i.e. I ran
>
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> In my case it turns out to be /usr/local/lib/
>
> I checked pkg-config --libs glib-2.0 and the output was
> -L/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0 so I don't think I should have to export
> those variables. I just reinstalled the system after screwing
> something up so I will try that next though. Thanks for the
> suggestion.

You do if, as appears to be the case, you have two versions of glib
installed (your packaged glib in the /usr prefix and your own
compiled one in the /usr/local prefix), so as to prevent your build is
picking up the wrong one.

Either replace your earlier version with the later one (that is, build
a proper package for your distribution's packaging system), or set the
relevant environmental variables.  The first approach is the better
one.

Chris