Transparent widgets

Hi group,

I've spent nearly two days struggling with this one now, and I'm all out of ideas.

I'm looking for a way to have a transparent widget, specifically a GtkLayout or GtkFixed. At the moment the GtkLayout is drawing over my window and it's custom background.

Here's the concept art which gives you an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish (GtkWindow isn't decorated, so no frame shown)
Concept.jpg
(Sorry about the quality, compressed to stay under 40kb board limit)

Thanks in advance
-Keith