Re: Creating an app with optional GTK support

On 14.05.2010 at 18:34 Lothar Scholz wrote:

>Hello Andreas,
>
>Friday, May 14, 2010, 12:26:00 PM, you wrote:
>
>AF> I'm currently developing an X11 app and would like to use GTK only for
>the
>AF> file chooser dialog. The rest is done entirely in X11. However, the GTK
>AF> support shall be optional. If GTK is there, then my app will use the
>GTK
>AF> file chooser. If GTK is not there, I'll simply ask for a file name
>using a
>AF> fgets() on stdin :-)
>
>After reading all the other answers and your addtional comments.
>I would really question your decision to only rely on
>libX11. What value does this add these days for your customers.

It's not an ideological decision or something. It's just that in this very
app I really don't need GTK because the app doesn't have a GUI in
the traditional sense. It's drawing everything on its own and X11 is
just fine for that.

Greets,

Andreas
--
"Remember: It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"