Re: Creating an app with optional GTK support

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:02:48AM +0200, Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:
> On 15.05.2010 at 21:14 Stanislav Maslovski wrote:
>
> >On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:26:00PM +0200, Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm currently developing an X11 app and would like to use GTK only for
> >the
> >> file chooser dialog.
> >
> >Are you sure you want to use it? It is broken beyond repair in all
> >possible ways.
>
> Huh, what, GTK broken? GTK always worked fine for me... except the Windows
> port could use some polishing ;)

File chooser dialog is for sure broken. Have you ever tried using it
with a large directory, esp. on a network share? It can spend minutes to
form a list of files, while other toolkits spend seconds. Try stracing
it and you will see how brain dead the design is.

Even on my local HDD gtk needs about 30 secs to form a list of files
in /usr/bin. While, for instance, the "terribly slow" WinXP's Explorer
running in a virtual machine (!) on the same host and accessing the same
directory over a virtual network (!) spends only 7 seconds.

--
Stanislav