Re: g_io_channel_win32_new_fd()

> Tor - you might not be the right person to ask about this - but do you know
> if there are any plans to release official binaries for glib/gtk+ etc, built
> to be compatible with VC++8?

Well, I don't have such plans, it takes enough time to provide builds
of the stack built with MinGW, but anybody is free to do it of course,
and if they promise some degree of long-time commitment, I don't see
why such builds couldn't also be hosted on ftp.gnome.org. (It's not my
decision, of course.)

> Or would that then screw things up for MinGW users?

The DLLs should ideally be differently named depending on which
compiler, and thus C runtime, is used. That is true for the existing
project files for MSVC8 and MSVC9 in GLib. I have occasionally hacked
on project files for atk, Pango and GTK+, too, and will hopefully
commit them at some point. (Also other people have been working on
such, see below.)

> Or does anyone know of an unofficial build using VC++8 that I could obtain
> from somewhere?

https://launchpad.net/oah and https://launchpad.net/hsbuild ? Please
note the "OAH WILL DO NASTY THINGS TO YOUR SYSTEM!" comment though,
and be careful.

I personally am not totally convinced that the approach OAH and HS
Build take is the right one, as they seem to want to pull in a bunch
of stuff that "normal" Win32-based developers probably don't want to
get involved with like bzr, perl, python and vala. But I guess that is
necessary if one wants to support building from a git checkout. (The
project files I am occasionally hacking on are intended to be usable
only from an unpacked tarball where generated source files are already
present.)

--tml