Re: Recent gtk+ on DirectFB

On 04/09/2010 09:20 AM, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> Well, actually I need gtk+ ontop of DirectFB for two reasons: first board has
> accelerated DirectFB driver (and 128mb of RAM), and second has only 32mb of
> RAM (and no accelerated DirectFB driver)
>
> I'll need to write X graphics driver to get advantage of 2D accelerator for
> first board in case of X usage.
>
> As for second board - 32 mb is definitely not enought for X-based environment
> :(

I can't speak for the acceleration issue, but I am pretty sure that 32
mb of RAM is plenty for running an X-based GTK on the Xephyr X server.
Even 8 years ago I ran GTK on X11 on a 32 MB ram handheld computer using
Kdrive, the forerunner of Xephyr.

Certainly I don't see how Xephyr + GTK is going to use very much more
ram than DirectFB backend + GTK.  Keep in mind that the GDK layer in
DirectFB has to implement many of the windowing primitives itself that
X11 provides, so the savings provided by DirectFB in the memory usage
department would appear to be nil.