How to get scroll bar infromation in C?

Hello,

     I am writing a program in C to get the scroll bar information for an existing application such as a text file or a webpage opened in GNOME desktop. If the existing application window is the currently active window and it has scroll bars, my program needs to be able to move the mouse pointer onto the scroll bar and scroll the content of the window up/down/left/right depending on the user choice. For example, when the user holds the 'CTRL' key and 'Right Arrow' key from the keyboard, the mouse pointer will jump from the current position to the middle of horizontal scroll bar and the window content scrolls to the right. I understand it is not a problem if the application window is developed with GTK+. The question is my program needs to be able to scroll any type of window opened in GNOME desktop and that window may not be a GTKWindow or GDKWindow.

      Could anyone shed some light on how to use GTK+ or GNOME API to do this?

Thanks,

Frank