Re: why is cairo with pdf and postscript backend mandatory?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:41:37 -0500
zentara <zentara1 sbcglobal net> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:52:23 +0900
>nazgul33 <nazgul33 gmail com> wrote:
>

>>Why pdf/ps backends are mandatory?
>>Does anybody know which version of GTK+ source distribution has no such
>>restriction?
>>What can I do to remove the restriction if i have to you recent GTK+?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Steven.
>
>I thought about that myself, ...why does glib need a graphic lib?
>
>My only guess, and I'm no expert, is that the the low level gdk windows need it?
>
>zentara

I guess that GLib itself dosn't require Cairo, but I seem to remember that
if you use gtk+ with cairo, it needs a glib built with that version of cairo.

I mention this, because I have tried to upgrade only the gtk+ lib by itself, and
used to run into errors, that required me to rebuild glib ,pango, and atk first, so
that they were compatible.

Looking at the gtk+ building docs, its says:
##################################3
  Three of the libraries that GTK+ depends on are maintained by by
the GTK+ team: GLib, Pango, and ATK. Other libraries are
maintained separately.
Pango is a library for internationalized text handling
Cairo is a graphics library that supports vector graphics and
       image compositing. Both Pango and GTK+ use cairo for much of their
       drawing.
 Then build and install the GTK+ libraries in the order: GLib, Pango,
   ATK, then GTK+.
###############################3

So in my experience of manually compiling, if you want to use gtk+,
it requires a glib and pango built with cairo, for the reason of
library compatibility. That is, if you try to compile Pango, and your glib
has no cairo builtin, Pango's configure script will die.

So.... you may be able to build glib without cairo, but it will have
to be separated from the glib built for the gtk+ library.

libglib is great all by itself, and does not require X windows.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, in my statements.  Or maybe I'm completely
misunderstanding your need to exclude only ps/pdf libs.

zentara

http://www.zentara.net/~zentaran/My_Petition_to_the_Great_Cosmic_Conciousness.html