Mouse event black holes

I was tinkering a while ago, making Metacity respond to mouse dragging
from anywhere in its window client area. (Thus allowing the user to drag
a window from any place which was not otherwise taking mouse events. I
think this can give the environment a nice, consistent, physical feel).
However, I hit a painful snag!

It seems that certain stock GTK widgets do not propagate events to their
parent widgets when they go unused. For example, if I click on an empty
area of a menu bar, absolutely nothing happens yet the event is
swallowed anyway. Same issue with toolbars and some others. Ultimately I
see why Metacity didn't want that behaviour in the first place. It makes
me very sad :(

Is there a reason why GTK behaves this way, or should I file bugs where
appropriate?

Thanks!

--
Dylan McCall <DylanMcCall Gmail com>