events on a lot of triangles: [simplification of a previous post]

Dear all,

Probably the previous post was a bit to cryptic.

I need to draw triangles (and circles) on the screen (any drawable)
and have active events on each object I draw: namely mouse_over, click.. etc..
[they can overlap]

Is there any alternative to gnome-canvas?
In particular gnome-canvas was working nicely up to 20000 objects
but a bit heavy with 40000. (I would guess that an equivalent
canvas solution will suffer the same problem..)

Is there a simple way to "recode" a simple z-buffer using existing tools?
With simple I mean that I do not have to recalculate exposed pixels.

sorry for double posting but maybe this version
is a bit more clear.

cheers
Fabio