Re: How to make the gtk+ application run faster?

2008/5/28 Harinandan S <harinandans gmail com>:
> I am using GTK+2.12.2 on DirectFB on TI Davinci platform with 300MHz ARM
> processor. I observe that my GTK application takes around a second to open a
> window, and around a 700-800 ms to switch tabs. I have built it with O3
> optimization in release mode.
>
> How to speed up the application? Is there any way to build the libraries
> with different options to make it faster?

You can give the compiler options with something like:

  CFLAGS="-O3 -ffast-math -funroll-loops" ./configure ...

You could try looking at the FP options, Pango (and maybe Cairo?) used
to use a lot of floating point which caused performance problems on
machines without FP support. Though I think this is supposed to have
got a lot better recently.

You could try gtk 2.8 (or was it 2.6? I forget), this was the last
version before rendering switched to Cairo/Pango, so it should be
easier on your hardware.

You could check which theme you are using, obviously some are much
'heavier' than others. The built-in default theme is relatively light,
I think.

John