Re: Raising a GtkWindow

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 10:09:30PM +1300, Liam O'Boyle wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 19:25 +1100, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 20:42 +1300, Liam O'Boyle wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if there is a correct way to raise a GtkWindow to be on
> > > top of other windows. Under Gnome, with the default window manager,
> >
> > Yes there is. Call gtk_window_present().
> >

> Hi there,
> Unfortunately gtk_window_present() just calls gdk_window_show on the
> widget->window... so, at least for me, it still isn't doing much to
> raise the window for me.  Thanks for the suggestion though - I hadn't
> seen that before.

There is some amount of consensus among window manager maintainers (not
just Metacity people, and not even just under GNOME) that allowing this
is a bad idea.  For this reason it is not possible, except in a few
special cases: the request reaches the window manager but gets ignored.

I wrote a description of the problem here, with links to discussions