Raising a GtkWindow

Hi there,

I'm wondering if there is a correct way to raise a GtkWindow to be on
top of other windows.  Under Gnome, with the default window manager, the
only way I've managed to achieve this is by hiding the window then
showing it again, which causes the window manager to reposition the
window, so is less than ideal.

I've tried a battery of other methods, with no success (see details
below).  Can anybody make some recommendations here?

Previous attempts along these lines:

  GdkWindow *parent;
  if(GTK_IS_WINDOW(widget))
    gtk_window_deiconify(GTK_WINDOW(widget));
  if(GDK_IS_WINDOW(GTK_WINDOW(widget)->frame))
    gdk_window_raise(GTK_WINDOW(widget)->frame);
  parent  = gtk_widget_get_parent_window(widget);
  if(parent)
    gdk_window_raise(parent);
  parent = gtk_widget_get_root_window(widget);
  if(parent)
    {
    gdk_window_raise(parent);
    parent = gdk_window_get_toplevel(parent);
    if(parent)
      gdk_window_raise(parent);
    }

Thanks for your help,