Re: looking for a widget like pd's number box

Hmm... one more reason to switch to gtkmm already.  I just figured I would start learning gtk+ to limit myself to C, but I am already thinking about using custom widgets.  I hear this is a drag in gtk+ alone.

Also, Paul, I will admit that one of the deciding factors for me choosing gtk over other toolkits is that it may allow me to one day help out on the ardour project.

Would you mind pointing me towards the widget you wrote in gtkmm, this is if you wouldn't mind me using it?  Full credits will of course be given for the creator.

cheers,
Rich

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 19:30 -0700, Rich E wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a happy user of Miller Puckette's Pure Data (pd) for real-time
> audio processing, but not too happy with the interface, which uses the
> tk toolkit.  So, I am working towards developing a similar, but
> expandable, interface using GTK+.
>
> I was hoping someone could help decide what I have to do to replicate
> the number box in pd. As far as I can tell from the source, it is
> created from scratch using tcl scripting commands. It consists of a
> number entry area and looks very much like the GtkSpinButton, without
> the arrows on the side.  To change the number with the mouse, you
> click on the number area and drag the mouse upwards or downwards.  You
> can also shift-click for finer precision.
>
> Has anyone seen something like this in gtk, or will I have to write
> it?
>
> Just trying to stop duplicated work if that would be the case, and at
> the same time attempt to get the advice of gtk users with more
> experience than myself (which isn't much).

i wrote precisely such a thing, but alas in C++ for gtkmm as a derived
type, not as a native GTK widget. it wasn't hard, but its quite a bit
more work in C alone.