Re: Installing GTK+ on Windows XP

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
On 17/01/08 Daniel Kasak said:

These binaries are now quite out of date. The Gimp-2.4.2 installer has a
much more recent gtk+. Also there are more recent ( 3.4.x ) binaries for
glade floating around ( google ).

Well, if the Gtk project could produce windows installers for the dev and
runtime packages, that would be nice. Last I looked I had to manually install
a dozen zip files.

There are good reasons for not doing this. The main reason is that apps often require specific versions of the runtime. For example, a while back both the most common Gimp installer package and the official Gaim win32 installer installed different versions of the "common" GTK runtime in the same location. Unfortunately the version that Gimp wanted would not work with Gaim at the time.

Essentially, installing the Gimp runtime is not intended for users to do. Instead you'll have far better luck if you just bundle the GTK runtime with your app in the same folder (which is what the original poster was asking about to begin with). Having an official GTK runtime installer is not going to really benefit any end user.

From a developer's perspective, having one big distribution zip file that I can drop on my hard drive in some arbitrary folder would indeed be nice, rather than having to unzip many different packages.

Mike