What does your personal GTK+ development system consist of?

Hi everyone,

I'm curious as to what peoples personal GTK+
development systems consist of. What are the most
convenient ways of developing GTK+ without affecting
the GTK+ applications you use every day.

I ask because I recently screwed up my Ubuntu
installation after installing GLib, Pango, ATK and
GTK+ from source, and would like to be able to hack on
the GTK+ widgets without breaking everything.

Thanks,
Wade

Be a better friend, newshound, and