RE: Multiple Gtk+2.0 installation

>>  A D  wrote:
>>

>> Hello! As a new programmer I want to install multiple versions of gtk+2.0
>> My Debian Etch system already has gtk+2.8 installed. Now wanna install
>> gtk+2.10. But found out that gtk+2.8 and gtk+2.10 has different
>> dependencies. For an example gtk+2.8 uses cairo 1.0.2 while gtk+ 2.10
>> needs cairo 1.2.6. So if i install cairo 1.2.6 from source will it
>> conflict with cairo 1.0.2? If it does is there anyway to solve this
>> problem? Searched gtk mailing list but failed to find the answer. Hope
>> someone here can help. Thanks for your time.
>>
>> --JW

At last I've installed gtk+-2.10.14 without uninstalling gtk+-2.8. I was
busy installing so sorry for late reply. I wanted to see whether 2.10
works perfectly.

>Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>
>I would understand if you wanted to do this being an *experienced*
>programmer who needs to test building some application against several
>versions of the GTK+ stack. But why do you need to do this if you are
>a *new* programmer?

i wanted the extra feature of gtk+-2.10.

>Anyway, the key point here is to build and install the versions you
>want of the GTK+ stack (cairo, GLib, atk, Pango, GTK+) into a new,
>fresh location. Obviously, you should build in order from bottom up.
>When building each component that depends on some of the earlier, make
>sure to set your PKG_CONFIG_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH environment
>variables so that the earlier components get picked up and not the
>system ones installed by the distribution. And whatever you do,
>*don't* overwrite files from the system packages. Don't work as root.

I did exactly what you said. Thanks for the input.

>Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>If you are interested, I'll send you the latest version of my AppsFromScratch -
>it will build and install gtk+-2.12.7 and all its dependencies using just one
>command line, you won't have to be root, you'll decide where to install it.
>
>You may have unlimited number of different version of the same library using
>AppsFromScratch.

I already installed 2.10.14. So thanks for your help.

--JW