Re: What does this mean?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:58:07PM -0500, Donny Viszneki wrote:
> What other so far haven't told you, and I can't completely blame them,
> is that you don't know how to use the shell you're using. Of
> particular interest is your use of the ampersand to end your command.
> In many popular shells like Bash, the ampersand runs the command in
> the "background." You can still interact with the shell, but as you
> may have noticed, the program will still spit its output into your
> terminal. The output "[7] 4506" is the shell telling you the "job ID"
> and the process ID, respectfully. As others have already suggested:
> man bash.

Yep.  Querulous old fart freaks when he sees an error message, and
forgets *everything*.  Have no idea how I remembered enough to write
that email :).  Dunno which is worse, sending that email to this list,
or walking into a party with my pants very obviously unzipped.  Probably
the email, I would think.

No doubt about it:  All of you can have a field day with that one!
Hell, I'll join you!

The problem is that I haven't seriously used this system for quite a
while.  I play games and do email and usenet, and browse for hours
(oddly enough, no porn :( ).  For all that, it might as well be a
M$ machine as far as I'm concerned!

Meanwhile, the box is the printer server and the mail server for my wife
and myself; both of us running Slackware 10.0.  She can't tell her's
from a Windows appliance, it just doesn't ever crash and I can telnet in
and fix whatever she doesn't like.  God help me if something breaks, and
I really turn out to be the doddering old fool I've just just been here.

Nah... reality check time.  Meanwhile, hang that email on the wall and
throw darts at it.  ROFL!!!

Bill Tallman