RE: Why was GtkCList deprecated?

That's true, but GtkTreeView is pretty heavy duty and overkill for a lot of
(most?) purposes. I've used it quite a lot now and every time I have to go
back to the docs and look at other examples to work out what the heck all
the models, iters, paths etc. are doing. It would be nice if we had some
simpler standardized widgets that implemented simple list views (like
GtkList and maybe GtkCList, although I don't know that one) that could use
GtkTreeView behind the scenes, acting as a font-end to it and providing a
nice simple to use API.

Ian