GtkPlug doesn't get mapped

I have two custom widgets, one derived from GtkSocket and the other
derived from GtkPlug.

In the socket widget's _realize function I create the plug (using D-Bus
calls) and add the plug to the socket with gtk_socket_add_id. I see my
plug get realized and configured; and I see it get the "embedded"
signal. And I see my socket getting "map-event". But I don't see the
plug displayed and the plug's "map-event" signal handler is never run.

Is there a problem with adding the plug to the socket in _realize? I
found this old thread:

        http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2002-August/msg00125.html

There's a lot there that I don't follow at all; but I think one of the
things Owen's saying is that realize needs to finish before adding the
plug to the socket. Is that understanding accurate? Or, more importantly
given that this thread is six years old, does this accurately reflect
the state of affairs in modern GTK+? If so, where is a good place to
hang the call to gtk_socket_add_id?

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden endoframe com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden jabber org>