Re: cross-compiling linux->win32 with mingw

>  whenever one of the shared libraries (DLLs) that your program
>  depends on does not have its executable permission flag enabled.

Interesting. I assume you mean the executable permission in the ACL
for the file (in the NTFS file system), not some flag inside the file?

>  Dependency Walker is a great tool, but it was entirely oblivious to
>  this little fact,

You should report this to the Dependency Walker maintainers.

>  It's worth noting
>  that I have encountered a few DLL files from gtk.org and gnome.org
>  that did not have their execution flags set either.

You mean in the ZIP archives? Which files, in what archives? Although,
actually the ZIP format doesn't store any executable information for
archive members, as far as I know. (See
http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT .) It is up to
the application used to unpack the archive to make sure that the
protection settings of unpacked files is appropriate. In most cases on
Windows and NTFS, the unpacked files probably just inherit the ACL of
the enclosing folder, or whatever.

--tml