Re: 16 bits grayscale images

--- David Neèas (Yeti) <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:44:11AM -0700, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> >
> > Exactly my point.
> >
> > First processing with/at full accuracy, then display at whatever accuracy the display
> > device allows.
>
> I was talking about converting for display -- the idea of
> destroying the valuable original data is so silly that it
> can be probably mentioned only when one attempts to attibute
> it to someone else.

Then, could you please elaborate how GIMP converts input 16 bits per color
per pixel TIFF/PNG into internal representation ?

If I tell GIMP to open such a files, the first thing it does is the conversion,
without asking me for any LUT that would allow it to put that valuable
input data into its internal buffers.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/