Cross compiling gtk+

Hi,
     I have been having a couple of problems with the icons from gtk+
and was told that it could be related to the gtkbuiltincache.h. As it
noramlly generates a blank gtkbuiltincache.h. Would it be fine if

a) I ran gtk-update-icon cache on the target and then copy over the
gtkbuikltincache

(OR)

b) Should i just build it with the empty gtkbuiltincache.h and then
copy the icons and put them in say /usr/share/icons. The GTK output
before the segmentation fault is :

gtk_icon_theme_lookup_icon gtk-ok
look for cache in /usr/share/icons
look for cache in /usr/share/pixmaps
(!) [  682:    0.000] --> Caught signal 11 (at (nil), invalid address) <--