Re: Strange behaviour with scim

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 23:59 +0200, Gerrit Sangel wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am using Abiword, Inkscape and Gimp as GTK programs and I input Japanese and
> Chinese with scim.
>
> I switched the input module with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim to scim and this works
> fine, but the problem is the following:
>
> Because Japanese and Chinese need to modify the entered string, usually a pop
> up box appears where the user can choose the desired character. But in
> Inkscape and Abiword, and partly in GIMP, the problem is, that the entered
> character do not appear “on the spot”.
>
> I made a screenshot to illustrate the issue:
>
> http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1135/scimgm1.jpg
>
> The correct behaviour should be that the “こんば” appears right after the |, just
> like any other Text you're typing and the drop box with the Kanji characters
> should appear below the text.
>
> It is odd that this works perfectly in Firefox. But it is almost unusable in
> Inkscape and Abiword, because you don't know where this box will
> appear and you can’t concentrate on typing. I already wrote to the Inkscape
> mailing list, but they don't know anything about it, and because it also
> appears in Abiword, I think this could be a GTK issue.

None of those three apps use Gtk+ text widgets...  So it's their own
bugs.  Test with gedit, if it works, it's most probably not a Gtk+ bug.
AbiWord and Inkscape both get the glyphs out of Pango/Gtk+ and render
themselves.  So they don't quite hint Gtk+ where the IM box should be
positioned, something like that...