Are Xext and Xrender required to build GTK/X11 ?

Are Xext and Xrender required to build GTK/X11?
Is this requirement intended, or is it a bug?

I tried to build on a system without those (only plain
X11), and the configure script failed to link the
test program that checks for XOpenDisplay.

In configure.in I have seen that if .pc for X11
packages are not available, -lXext and -lXrender are
unconditionally passed to the linker:

x_libs_for_checks="$X_LIBS -lXext -lXrender -lX11
$X_EXTRA_LIBS"
LIBS="$x_libs_for_checks $LIBS"

Thank you,

Claudio