How to detect when a row in a GtkTreeView becomes visible

Hello,

I'm trying to create a GtkTreeView / GtkListStore that only contains
the data for the rows / columns that are visible.

The GtkTreeView I have now is filled with a couple of thousand rows
and about 20 columns (and is contained in a GtkScrolledWindow) and is
reacting very slow when I scroll.

Is there a way to do this? My idea was connecting a scroll and a
resize signal to the treeview and then calling
gtk_tree_view_get_visible_rect(), but I can't find the signals.

I've tried some signals (like the scroll-child signal of
GtkScrolledWindow, the check-resize signal of GtkContainer), but
without succes. Is there some sort of "gtk-treeview-row-visible"-like
signal?

Regards,

Michiel van Eerd