Re: Problem building on OSX

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 15:26 -0700, Dave Stewart wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2007, at 12:16 PM, Marius Schamschula wrote:
>
> > Dave,
> >
> > I'm surprised you got this far with your ./configure command.
> >
> > configure has a problem when passing multiple parameters to a single
> > shell variable as arguments. I set the environmental variables before
> > calling ./configure.
>

> Still no love, exact same problem (/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _libintl_ngettext).
>

> > BTW: Is there a particular reason you want to build wireshark from
> > scratch?
> >
> > Have you considered MacPorts, Fink or my builds at www.hmug.org?
>

> I wasn't aware of your builds at hmug.org and for some odd reason I
> can't get there (I get a "Web Filter" error I've never seen before;
> "Failure receiving data from the host, url = http://www.hmug.org/";).
> I didn't want to have to install something like MacPorts or Fink just
> to install one program that I wanted,

just to clarify: neither DarwinPorts nor Fink installs anything extra on
your machine beyond what you tell it to (other than a database of what's
installed). it is not some "fetch everything" system - you tell it what
you want to get and it installs everything you'll need to use it.

if the "one program" you want needs a library that needs 3 libraries
that each need 2 other libraries ....

you get the point.

what *is* a problem with (at least) DarwinPorts is if you want to use
gtk/osx *and* DarwinPorts and you install too much stuff via DP. the
problem is that jhbuild doesn't interlock very well with the versions of
things you installed with DP, installs its own versions (under /opt/gtk)
and you get totally lost figuring out if an app is using Apple's
libfoobar, the one from DarwinPorts or the one build and installed by
jhbuild.

--p