Re: Problem building on OSX

On Oct 18, 2007, at 12:16 PM, Marius Schamschula wrote:

Dave,

I'm surprised you got this far with your ./configure command.

configure has a problem when passing multiple parameters to a single
shell variable as arguments. I set the environmental variables before
calling ./configure.

Still no love, exact same problem (/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols: _libintl_ngettext).

BTW: Is there a particular reason you want to build wireshark from scratch?

Have you considered MacPorts, Fink or my builds at www.hmug.org?

I wasn't aware of your builds at hmug.org and for some odd reason I can't get there (I get a "Web Filter" error I've never seen before; "Failure receiving data from the host, url = http://www.hmug.org/";). I didn't want to have to install something like MacPorts or Fink just to install one program that I wanted, this machine is set up to be kinda "lean and mean", but I guess I'll have to. I really wasn't expecting this to be this difficult, I've successfully built a couple of versions of Bind on a couple of different machines (including this one) without much issue (plus the pkg_config and gettext prerequisites for this) so I didn't fear doing this build myself.

Ha, live and learn I guess.

Thanks!

Dave Stewart
Aqua~Flo Supply (Goleta CA)
dstewart at aquaflo dot com

The trouble with doing something right the first time
is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.