Re: Text Input with Windows Tablet Panel

Jernej Simončič wrote:

AFAIK, the touchscreen in tablet PCs actually is a Wacom tablet.

Well, no. The touch screen in my tablet is made by eGalax. It's resistance based, so it only registers touch, i.e. no pressure sensitivity. So the normal OS mouse functions are sufficient, even though it's not a Wacom tablet.

Tor Lillqvist wrote:

A somewhat related issue is support for accessibility on Windows.
Those technologies also don't work with the GTK+ widgets.

Tor. You nailed it. I agree that it is the same reason assistive technologies don't work; because widgets are not real Windows components. This same issue exists on Mac OS X for any widget set that's not native (screen reader just says "X eleven" whenever I give focus to a GTK+ app :-) ).

As far as I know there are two solutions.
1) use native widgets somehow
2) build an OS specific bridge for each platform that passes hints to the OS as each component gets focus (IBM did this for Java a while back).

Neither solution is enticing, especially when the number of people with disabilities and/or tablets is low (or at the very least, the number who are vocal is very low).
Evan