Text Input with Windows Tablet Panel

On Windows tablet PC's, there's this thing called the floating TIP (Tablet Input Panel) that runs all the time. When a text field gets focus, it shows a little button that, when pressed opens, the tablet input panel. Here you can hand write text or use an on screen keyboard to enter text into the text field. It's not that surprising that when running GTK+ apps on a tablet pc (Windows), you don't get this nice floating TIP integration. Instead, one has to load the TIP off of a toolbar located on the start bar, which is a pain as that keyboard doesn't float over the app, but rather resizes apps and hogs screen realestate.

The reason for this is that GTK+ text fields aren't real Windows text field widgets and the Windows floating TIP isn't smart enough to divine that. Java Swing applications suffer the same problem as do any other windowing toolkits that don't implement their components via "native peers." (I wrote a bit on this with respect to Java here: http://www.eeaston.com/using-my-umpc/enabling-tablet-pc-tip-for-swing-java-apps-1)

I know virtually nothing about GTK+/gnome, and my searches on this topic haven't really revealed much. Has there been any consideration for how to get the floating TIP working in GTK+ for windows? I've experimented with setting the GDK_USE_WINTAB environmet var, but I'm either doing something wrong, or it really is not intended to address the floating TIP issue.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Evan