Re: Glib Problem With pygtk

ì2007/10/30, BeamEnds <lrspares45 aol com>:

> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.8.0...
> *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.12.9, but GLIB
> (2.10.3)
> *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
> *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the
> error

Here is telling you what's wrong, just guessing here you have a Glib
installed in your system path and an attempt to install a newer
version in another path (probably /usr/local)

> *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
> *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
> *** required on your system.

If you want to have newer version of your library you should point
LD_LIBRARY_PATH where the new one is installed

> *** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> *** to point to the correct configuration files

also PKG_CONFIG_PATH should be pointed there to find it.

> If I try to install gobject package it fails saying it conflicts with
> python-gtk2.

That is because you have a kind of mess now between older and newer libraries.

> Some questions :
> Where are the GLIB versiosn stored?

The default path is /usr/lib

> I've found several .h files that
> have the version number in - where should it be (/tmp)?

Wherever you want to install them besides the system path

> Where does the ./configure look to get which version of GLIB is
> installed?

pkg-config --modversion libraryname

If you want to install different version of a library you must learn
how to deal with different LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH first,
I'm sure googling will bring up nice tutorials.

HTH

cheers
--
Gian Mario Tagliaretti