Re: (severe) performance issues

Though when a widget implementation causes 5-10x more cpu usage due
to a bad design. I think it warrants attention.

Add one simple function call to assign a label a FIXED size
(similar to the call for GtkEntries) so as to prevent the resize up
the widget tree syndrome.  When a label update occurs, either
truncate anything past that limit,  or if the ellipses property is
set to use that instead to show the label is larger than it's
allocated area.

It would solve the cpu usage problem from the resize triggers and
not break backwards compat.  It's also something that should have
been done 3-5 years ago.

--- Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:04 -0700, David J. Andruczyk wrote:
> > And the GTK+ developers haven't fixed this because of what?
> pride?
> >
> > I've seen this issue in GTK+ for YEARS, and filed bug reports
> on it
> > for several years only to be shot down and turned away by them.
>
> > That's disappointing.
>
> its not actually a bug, which is why i wrote "bug". its an issue
> with
> the semantics of what a "label" is and how it should behave.
>
> for many applications, the current behaviour of GtkLabel is
> correct and
> desired. for many others, it isn't, hence the work that
> Evolution's team
> had to do.
>
> there are very few people working on the GTK infrastructure.
> adding a
> whole new semantic for labels (or even an option to disable
> resizing,
> which has several side effects) is not likely high on the couple
> of
> personal TODO lists that anyone has.
>
> --p

-- David J. Andruczyk