Re: Where is the PKG-config files for gtk on Red Hat 4?

I'm taking this back to the list, since I accidently neglected to
include the list in my previous reply...

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 09:55 -0600, ying lcs wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Michael Ekstrand <mekstran scl ameslab gov> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 17:13 -0600, ying lcs wrote:
> > > Thanks for your help. But how this case:
> > > 1. I compile my program in a rhel 4with gtk 2.8.9 installed.
> > > but what will happen if i take my binary to another rhel 4 with other
> > > version of gtk installed?
> > > Will it run without problems?
> >
> > If you don't use any GTK+ 2.8x-specific features, probably.  However, it
> > is worth noting that RHEL4 ships GTK+ 2.4.x; if you really want RHEL4
> > compatibility, you should target that.  Depending on anything higher is
> > a recipe for nightmares (believe me).  The gtk2-devel package is GTK
> > +2.4.x (don't remember exact micro version) anyway.
> >

> Thanks. Can you please tell me what is the command to find out which
> version of gtk is installed in the system?
> I tried 'rpm -q gtk*'
> i get 'package gtk* is not installed'

I'm not very fluent in things of Red Hat, but "rpm -q gtk2" may give you
the version; I'm not sure how globs apply to packages.

If you want to find out what version of GTK configure scripts will find
(and therefore applications will attempt to build against), do:

pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0

This will work on all Unix-ish GTK-supported platforms, provided that
pkg-config and GTK+ devel files are installed.

- Michael

--
Michael Ekstrand
Research Assistant, Scalable Computing Laboratory