Motion Notify Event

I am trying to write a tool that uses mouse button presses and motion to do something useful. The mouse press is working, but I never get into the routine from a mouse motion event any action appears to be captured by the button press event). The add event and signal connect calls I am using are below. Is there an obvious error? (I saw a recommendation to use GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK rather than GDK_POINTER_MOTION_MASK to keep the application from bogging down.

  gtk_widget_add_events(GTK_WIDGET(view),
                        GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK);

  gtk_widget_add_events(GTK_WIDGET(view),
                        GDK_BUTTON_PRESS_MASK);

  gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(view), "motion_notify_event",
		   GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(event_mv), NULL);

  gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(view), "button_press_event",
                     GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(event_cb), NULL);

--
Dean P McCullough