Re: Emulating MDI

Robert Pearce wrote:
I have a Windows application I want to port to GTK. In the Windows
version it uses the "Multiple Document Interface" scheme, where several
"document" windows are placed on the main application canvas, and each
of these windows is decorated like a top-level window. For this
particular application, that layout makes a lot of sense.

So, is there a convenient way I can re-create that look in a GTK app?
There's no corresponding standard widgets - the only standard widget
that has the user-resizing and minimize/maximize seems to be GtkWindow
(and I suspect that's actually mostly provided by the window manager
rather than GTK).

Personally, I think MDI is aweful. I also hate multiple top-levels as used in Gimp. I like the new Glade3 interface and Anjuta. Dockable panes. I think they're both using gdl which isn't documented as of yet.

I typically just use resizable panes and tabbed notebooks. I think it's a nicer UI personally.

--
- Micah Carrick
  Freelance Developer