Emulating MDI

I have a Windows application I want to port to GTK. In the Windows version it uses the "Multiple Document Interface" scheme, where several "document" windows are placed on the main application canvas, and each of these windows is decorated like a top-level window. For this particular application, that layout makes a lot of sense.

So, is there a convenient way I can re-create that look in a GTK app? There's no corresponding standard widgets - the only standard widget that has the user-resizing and minimize/maximize seems to be GtkWindow (and I suspect that's actually mostly provided by the window manager rather than GTK).
--
Rob Pearce                       http://www.bdt-home.demon.co.uk

The contents of this | Windows NT crashed.
message are purely   | I am the Blue Screen of Death.
my opinion. Don't    | No one hears your screams.
believe a word.      |