Re: gtk 2.4.x installation

--- David Neèas (Yeti) <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:

> is finally a situation where Sergei's scripts could come
> handy -- if Gtk+ 2.10 can be built and works with XFree86
> 4.1, which I would not bet on).

Slightly (?) offtopic (?).

I have just stumbled across my "favourite" failure - 'configure' is OK,
but 'make' fails, this time for 'vte'.

It happened to be that the 'configure' DOES notice missing X-development
libraries, unsets some flag, generates 'Makefile', and then 'make' fails.

Another example - 'ncurses'. 'configure' happily accepts '--enable-ext-colors',
and 'make' happily fails afterwards. Oh, IIRC, it needs a C++ compiler, just
'configure' doesn't check that one is isntalled on the system.

Earlier I had an Email exchange with a guy who tried to use my script
on MacOS - again, 'configure' is OK, but 'make' fails - IIRC for jpeg
library.

Or, 'make' is OK, but 'make check' fails - I think, for 'libpng' - that is,
again, on MacOS.

Dear FOSS guys/girls, it's really frustrating - I mean, 'configure' scripts
which do not check all the necessary prerequisites.

And this fact severy undermines the statemet about high quality of FOSS.

And I have no time and energy to file all these bugs.

And, for example, to build 'expect' I had to revert 'bash' from version 3.2
(current) to version 3.0 (!) - otherwise 'configure' of 'expat' fails with
syntax error.

On topic (?) - 'gtk+-2.10.6' depends on 'cups', but 'configure' doesn't check
it, so if 'cups' is not installed, 'make' starts failing with

"
gtkprintbackendcups.c:28:23: error: cups/cups.h: No such file or directory
gtkprintbackendcups.c:29:27: error: cups/language.h: No such file or directory
gtkprintbackendcups.c:30:23: error: cups/http.h: No such file or directory
gtkprintbackendcups.c:31:22: error: cups/ipp.h: No such file or directory
In file included from gtkprintbackendcups.c:47:
gtkprintercups.h:25:22: error: cups/ppd.h: No such file or directory
"

- now that I know this 'cups' is listed as a dependency of 'gtk+'.

On a positive note - this is what my script (unreleased, but readily available
upon request version) builds out of the box:

aspell-0.60.4
atk-1.12.1
at-spi-1.6.6
audiofile-0.2.6