Re: gtk 2.4.x installation

2007/1/1, Jorge Andrade <ai_andrade yahoo com>:

I am trying to install gtk+ 2.4.x in linux  . I am using linux debian 3.0
From instalation guide of gtk, i downloaded source here :

Gtk+ is not at version 2.10.x there is a specific reason why you want
to install a very old release such as 2.4.x ?

** dependencies **
+ jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz
+ libpng-1.2.7.tar.gz
+ pkgconfig-0.15.0.tar.gz
+ tiff-v3.6.1.tar.gz

** library gtk **
+ glib-2.6.6.tar.bz2
+ pango-1.4.1.tar.bz2
+ atk-1.8.0.tar.bz2
+ gtk+-2.4.14.tar.bz2

I'm pretty sure that everything will be easier if you will use apt to
install your libraries, debian has for sure a better version than
2.4.x in their repository.

Dependencies has success to be installed with no error. In the documentation
mention that i have install with this direction ; glib, pango, atk, and gtk.
glib and pango already i installed with no error. When i try to execute
./configure when to configure atk, the error message has shown like this
below :

if at configure script you didn't pass any extra parameters such as
--prefix/whatever the default location is /usr/local and is there that
you libraries has been installed.

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.5.7...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.6.6, but GLIB (2.6.4)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.5.7 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. If GLIB is installed
*** but not in the same location as pkg-config add the location of the file
*** glib-2.0.pc to the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

If you are not confident in what you are doing e.g. playing with
library path you will be into troubles later, even if I tell you now
how to solve this problem.

I'm still newbie in linux. So i didn't understand what the error message
mean. Could you tell in detail instruction what i have to do to configure
the path. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you

My suggestion is to use apt-get to update your system and avoid to
install libraries from source in a different path than the system one.

If you _really_ want to install from source and mess up your system I
will tell you how to do it, but think about it al least three times :)

happy new year

cheers
--
Gian Mario Tagliaretti