gtk 2.4.x installation

I am trying to install gtk+ 2.4.x in linux  . I am using linux debian 3.0 From instalation guide of gtk, i downloaded source here :

** dependencies **
+ jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz
+ libpng-1.2.7.tar.gz
+ pkgconfig-0.15.0.tar.gz
+ tiff-v3.6.1.tar.gz

** library gtk **
+ glib-2.6.6.tar.bz2
+ pango-1.4.1.tar.bz2
+ atk-1.8.0.tar.bz2
+ gtk+-2.4.14.tar.bz2

Dependencies has success to be installed with no error. In the documentation mention that i have install with this direction ; glib, pango, atk, and gtk. glib and pango already i installed with no error. When i try to execute ./configure when to configure atk, the error message has shown like this below :

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.5.7...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.6.6, but GLIB (2.6.4)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.5.7 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. If GLIB is installed
*** but not in the same location as pkg-config add the location of the file
*** glib-2.0.pc to the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

I'm still newbie in linux. So i didn't understand what the error message mean. Could you tell in detail instruction what i have to do to configure the path. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you