Re: configuring gtk+ and gtkmm with dev-c++ on windows

Joey Carter writes:
 > I've searched the internet for a detailed step-by-step instructions on
 > how to configure gtk+ and gtkmm with dev-c++, but didn't find any up
 > to date installation instructions.

Why not ask on some Dev-C++ list then? Why not learn by experimenting?
If you are a programmer, it shouldn't be that hard to find out the
answer to your questions just by educated guessing and trial and
error. (If you aren't a programmer, well, why do you want to use GTK+
then?) Then submit your results to the Dev-C++ FAQ (if there is one)?

The answer is roughly (note that I have never used Dev-C++: Add the
"bin" folder(s) to PATH, and then run the command:

        pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0

to find out what to add to the compiler flags, and run:

        pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0

to find out that to add to the linker flags. (It would of course be
most elegant if Dev-C++ could be told to do that itself to find out
the flags.) If you don't have pkg-config, download it, from
ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.10/win32/dependencies . If you downloaded
some "easy to use" single-file-that-includes-everything GTK+
development bundle and it didn't include pkg-config, tell those who
packaged it that they really should include pkg-config,
too. pkg-config is the only supported (as in, "supported by the actual
maintainers of upstream GTK+") way to find out the compiler flags to
use.

--tml