Re: Dialogs always on top in Windows?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 03:07:22PM +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> David =?iso-8859-2?B?TmXoYXMgKFlldGkp?= writes:
>  > There are probably a few in plug-ins, however plug-ins are separate
>  > processes therefore their windows are not modal with respect to the
>  > app.
>
> You mean on Windows, or on X11?

I mean that the parent windows of these modal dialogs are
also windows created by the same plug-in, therefore the
possibility of any cross-process whatever is irrelevant.
I aplogize for being unclear.

> Is there anything in the X11 protocol
> that could prevent cross-process modality or transient-for
> relationships?

Not in the X11 protocol, but perhaps in good taste. Modality
is Evil and it is employed mainly because it makes thing
easier for the programmers, often much easier, by limiting
the user, sometimes seriously.

> At least in the GIMP trunk (development) version (which is getting
> very close to what will become 2.4) there certainly is cross-process
> use of transient-for.

Fortunately, my window manager does not limit me due to
transiency (only modality bothers me).

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/