Re: Required packages for gtk+

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 08:01 -0700, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> --- Michael Ekstrand <mekstran scl ameslab gov> wrote:
> > I can't promise that I'm giving you *all* areas, but the basic places to
> > look are configure.ac (where various libraries are detected), and the
> > various Makefile.am files (particularly gtk/Makefile.am, if that's where
> > you're modifying code).  Read up on autoconf/automake, and dive in.
> > You'll need to re-generate the build system (I believe there's an
> > autogen.sh script in the tarball or SVN to do this) after making your
> > changes.
>
> IIRC, as a result of autogen, there is Makefile per directory; all but leaf Makefiles
> are recursive, i.e. Makefiles from higher levels of hierarchy call the ones at lower
> levels of hierarchy.
>
> So, a less generic than autogen solution is to add the Makefile manually
> and to modify Makefile at higher level to call the newly added one.

If you're going to do this, modify the Makefile.am to call the new
makefile and re-run autotools.  Modifying the Makefile itself will
introduce changes that will be removed the next time configure is run.
Depending on GTK+'s build system setup, this may happen sometime as a
result of running make if certain files get touched.

In an autotooled build system, the *only* safe way to modify the build
system is to modify the configure.ac and Makefile.am files and re-run
autotools.

You are correct, that the Makefiles are recursive, but this is a result
of the Makefile.am files specifying the recursion.  You can add usage of
additional makefiles into the system (automake's manual has a section on
doing exactly that) but this needs to be done in the Makefile.am, not
the Makefile.

- Michael

--
Michael Ekstrand
Research Assistant, Scalable Computing Laboratory