Re: Required packages for gtk+

--- Michael Ekstrand <mekstran scl ameslab gov> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 19:08 +0530, Anupama Chandwani wrote:
> >  I want to add a package that sould be compiled before gtk+ & is a
> > pre-requisite for it. I have added a check for the same in
> > configure.in & created the configure file using autoconf.
> >
> > Now i want to add a "my_package.h" in gtk/gtkentry.c and also call
> > functions from the same. Where should i add the dependent CFLAGS? or
> > do a -lmy_package.so?
> > Please tell me all areas that need to be edited to include my package
> > as a pre-requisite.
>
> I can't promise that I'm giving you *all* areas, but the basic places to
> look are configure.ac (where various libraries are detected), and the
> various Makefile.am files (particularly gtk/Makefile.am, if that's where
> you're modifying code).  Read up on autoconf/automake, and dive in.
> You'll need to re-generate the build system (I believe there's an
> autogen.sh script in the tarball or SVN to do this) after making your
> changes.
>
> --
> Michael Ekstrand
> Research Assistant, Scalable Computing Laboratory
> Goanna, compute cluster and InfiniBand network monitor tool:
>         http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/Monitor/

IIRC, as a result of autogen, there is Makefile per directory; all but leaf Makefiles
are recursive, i.e. Makefiles from higher levels of hierarchy call the ones at lower
levels of hierarchy.

So, a less generic than autogen solution is to add the Makefile manually
and to modify Makefile at higher level to call the newly added one.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/