Re: How do you develop you GTK code?

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 10:33 -0300, Diogo Ramos wrote:
[...]
> Although I continues to code GTK by hand, I am getting more seduced by
> the clearness and agility of doing the GUI throw GLADE and LibGlade.
> Maybe I give it a try... Ok, I know it's going to be a pain doing all
> again at GLADE, but who knows if it does pay off?

If your program is simple and will probably never (or hardly) change,
then redoing it with libglade will take a bunch of your time that
you didnt need to invest.

If your program is a long term investment and undergoes frequent
refactoring, then do it now :) you will significantly improve your
code's legibility, reduce lots of code and as such; add value
to your product, this is not just my pointed opinion - libglade
reduces complexity from your code and this is becomming a very
widely accepted fact - the fact that you can later dynamically change
your UI using a designer tool without editing your source code is
only added sugar. Consider that adding a user visible feature to your
program will become a matter of:
   a.) Adding a control widget to your GUI with a designer tool and then
   b.) Adding a callback function that will interface with your core
       application code to perform a task, maybe also
   c.) Fetching a widget pointer from the libglade built hierarchy to
       provide the user with feedback from the core.

Cheers,
                    -Tristan