From: gtk-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:gtk-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Tristan Van Berkom
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:58 AM
To: Richard Boaz
Cc: GTK dev list
Subject: Re: How do you develop you GTK code?

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 15:00 +0200, Richard Boaz wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Like the others posting so far, I do not use any IDE to program my gtk
> + app.  I had a quick look once upon a time, but quickly determined
> that if you want or require to change the code that is automatically
> generated, you might as well just write your own instead of trying to
> get in the deep-end of someone else's ideas about how this should be
> done.

Right, first of all I dont think its correct to suppose that generated
code is anyone's idea of "how it should be done", generated code is a
mechanical spew of "code that works" and should NEVER be used as an
example or reference implementation.

My opinions about glade are biased because I maintain glade, but my
opinion anyway: glade is not an IDE, its a user interface designer -
adding application data and modeling of that data is not a desirable
thing, you want to keep your user interface in one corner and your data
in another - not mix them up in one big pot of spaghetti code.

If you have concerns about dynamic portions of your interface, I agree
they should mostly be done by hand, but wait - glade can still help you
here, say you have a hbox with a label and an entry as was previously
described, you can always put one instance of that in your glade file
and loop like so:

for (i to ... dataentries) {
	xml = glade_xml_new (..."dataentryitem"...);

	widget = glade_xml_get_widget (xml, "dataentryitem");

	/* ... pack into your program somewhere by hand ... */

	g_object_unref (xml);
}

This might or might not make sence depending on the application, but it
does have the advantage of keeping your UI dynamic, if you need to add
an item/label/separator or whatever to that subhierarchy than you dont
need to edit or compile code to update your interface.

I also believe that following a template design might be good for a dumb
little CLI wrapper in a GUI - but if you are really developing an
industry grade application then please use your brain and understand the
code - using libglade for your interface is a good thing because it
defers all the repetitive rigid GUI building code to a library that
takes care of it for you - it also allows you to use YOUR OWN design
that is appropriate for your own application, either by loading dialogs
on the fly or at initialization time - keeping pointers around for the
widgets that you need referenced by name, or by using lookup_widget()
types of paradigms - point being - you are the author of your
application and the sources are in your hands, you should be able to
organize your code in a way that suits the application at hand.

For a good reference implementation - I've repeatedly been pointing
people in the direction of the DevHelp sources, since IMO they use a
sound OO design and a very practical use of libglade (its also very
simple code to understand).

Just my 2 cents, cheers,
                         -Tristan